Below are the records Hurricane Irma has already broken as of this morning:
- Irma is the first storm in recorded history that has maintained top winds of 185 miles per hour for 37 straight hours.
- Irma is the strongest storm on record to exist in the Atlantic, outside of the Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.
- Irma is tied with the 1932 Cuba hurricane for the longest time spent as a Category 5 hurricane.
- Irma has the lowest minimum pressure in its lifetime of an Atlantic hurricane on record, outside of the western Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico.
- Irma generated more Accumulated Cyclone Energy than the first eight named storms of the current Atlantic hurricane season combined.
Just to name a few… more here.